We were out to dinner a few weeks ago and ordered one of the restaurants vegan appetizers, chipotle and black bean hummus with pita and veggies. It was so yummy with just the right amount of spice, I immediately knew I wanted to work on figuring out the recipe. After several tries, (none were throw aways, just not the exact flavor) I figured it out, or as near to it as my taste buds remember.
Very easy to make! Probably why it was easy to have so many different practice dips. Everything goes into the Vita Mix and it all gets pureed. The liquid from a can of chickpeas is called aquafaba and there are tons of recipes out there using this fun liquid. I use aquafaba in place of oil in my hummus recipes.
Chipotle and Black Bean Hummus
A spicy black bean hummus that gives a zip to fresh veggies or pita
• 1 15 ounce can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and liquid reserved
• 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
• 3 teaspoons of minced garlic
• 1/2 cup of tahini
• 3 tablespoons aquafaba
• 1 lemon, juiced (approximately 2 tablespoons)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• sea salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, reserving the liquid (aquafaba).
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Add chickpeas, black beans, garlic, tahini, aquafaba, lemon juice, chipotle powder, cumin and sea salt to Vita Mix and blend well.
- Add additional aquafaba until hummus reaches desired consistency.
- Enjoy with veggies, pretzels, chips, etc.!