This is an adaptation of a recipe from our meat eating days, definately better than the original. This recipe uses two of the mixes I have previously posted. You will need the recipe for veggie meat mix and the recipe for cashew cream sauce. You are well on your way to making these Creamy Meaty Enchiladas if you have some veggie meat mix already in your freezer and some cashew cream sauce in your refrigerator just waiting to be used. I keep veggie meat mix in my freezer for quick meal prep and I usually make up a batch of cashew cream sauce on the weekends and keep it in my refrigerator to use in meals during the week.
If you are making veggie meat mix to make this recipe, measure out your two cups and put them in a bowl and then you can freeze the remainder of the meat mix. I prefer a thick prepared salsa because you don’t want to water down your filling. If you are using a salsa that is a bit on the watery side, use a slotted spoon to scoop out the thick pieces to make your 1/2 cup. Keep an eye on how watery your filling looks, you may want to drain some of the liquid from the diced chili ready tomatoes if your mix seems to wet. It really just depends on the brand of salsa and the brand of canned tomatoes. I have made this recipe enough times to know that my family likes it even without the vegan cheese. For us the vegan cheese just adds oil and calories so if I can skip it, I tend to skip it. There is no vegan cheese in my photos of the enchiladas, all that creamy richness is from the cashew cream sauce. I will also skip the cilantro and green onions if I don’t have any, and it is still yummy. If you have them by all means put them on there, but don’t let it prevent you from making this recipe.
Creamy Meaty Enchiladas
A hearty casserole meal that will hit your comfort food button.
- 2 cups veggie meat mix, thawed
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced chili ready tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thick prepared salsa
- 2 1/2 cups vegan cheese, if desired, optional
- 8-9 (6 inch) 100% whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups cashew cream sauce
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish, optional
- Chopped green onion, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl, combine thawed veggie meat mix, diced chili ready tomatoes, and salsa.
- Add 1 cup of the vegan cheese if desired.
- Put about 1/3 cup filling in center of each tortilla and roll up. Place close together in a shallow 9 x 13 baking pan, seam-side down.
- Pour 2 cups of cashew cream sauce over the pan of enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with remaining vegan cheese if desired.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until bubbly.
- Garnish with cilantro and green onion.
- Makes 4-6 servings.