This is a quick and easy cream sauce I use literally once a week I think. I learned to cook in the days of a can of cream of something soup, some butter, sour cream, and milk. This is my substitute for all those creamed things. It thickens up when you cook it, it also thickens up when you use it in baking. I have found it is a perfect non-dairy soup base. I’ll be posting my cream of mushroom soup recipe in a couple of days. This cashew cream is the base for that.
I prefer to buy cashews in bulk. Be sure you buy bits and pieces cashews, you don’t need to pay for whole cashews when you are just going to grind them up anyway. I have a Vita-Mix so I don’t soak my cashews, unless I can only find the salted ones and then I soak them in warm water for a bit and then rinse them to pull some of the excess salt off.
I have included the recipe for vegetable broth that I use. I pre-make it and keep it in a spice container so its ready when I need it. I use 1 tablespoon of vegetable broth seasoning mixed with 1 cup of water to make 1 cup of vegetable broth. You can always use store bought vegetable broth if you would like.
I have been using Oat milk lately and I like its texture and creaminess. If you aren’t familiar with nutritional yeast, its usually found in the baking products aisle in your grocery. The simple truth brand from Kroger is pictured here, next to the Silk oat milk.
Cashew Cream Sauce
A thick and creamy vegan white sauce with a plethora of uses.
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes (Not necessary if using a Vita-Mix)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (ingredients below)
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk ( I use oat milk)
- 1/2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
vegetable broth ingredients
- 3 Tablespoons onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- Prepare the vegetable broth seasoning. Stir the seasonings together and store in a spice container.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of vegetable broth seasoning to 1 cup of warm water to prepare 1 cup of vegetable broth.
- To prepare the creamy sauce, drain the cashews and dispose of the water if you have been soaking them.
- In a high powered blender like a Vita-Mix, add all the sauce ingredients (cashews, vegetable broth, plant based milk, nutritional yeast, and salt)
- Blend on high for a few minutes until well mixed and smooth.