Before going plant based I would make a lovely breakfast casserole for every holiday or basically anytime we had everyone home. I would assemble my ingredients the night before and then pop it in the oven the next morning while everyone was still sleeping. Waking up to the aroma of something wonderful baking is just a basic part of a family get together. So I knew I needed to come up with a suitable substitute. This is it! There is no evening before preparation and there are so many variations, the options are limited only by your palette. I use a 9×13 baking dish and just cover the whole bottom with tater tots, I have used both tots and crowns so either are fine. The best part is the veggies that get mixed with the tofu…they literally can be any veggies. This past Christmas we used leftover stuffing in place of the veggies and it was fabulous. We have also added in some leftover corn casserole and again it was tasty. I have to admit the dairy free cheese on the top isn’t my favorite but my kids love it. Kala Namak is a seasoning that gives the tofu its eggy flavor and a little goes a long way, you really only need a pinch. You can order it from Amazon. I have also found my local Indian grocery store carries it. Typically we make this or some variation every morning of the holidays. Enjoy! ❤️ur❤️
Tofu Breakfast Scramble
A hearty warm breakfast for a cold winter morning.
- frozen tater tots, I use rounds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red sweet peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 pound extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- A few pinches of kala namak
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan cheese shreds to sprinkle on top
- sliced tomatoes for the top
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, sauce the onion, garlic and sweet pepper in a little water over medium heat.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the mushrooms and spinach. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach is wilted.
- Crumble the tofu in a small bowl and stir in the turmeric powder, paprika, nutritional yeast, corn starch, kala namak, salt and pepper.
- Stir the vegetables and the tofu together until combined
- Arrange the tater rounds in a casserole dish. Spread the tofu and veggie mixture over the top. (Sprinkle with optional tempeh)
- Top with tomato slices and vegan cheese shreds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes
Optional tempeh instructions
- 5 oz. tempeh
- 1 Tbsp. barbecue-sauce
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
Cut the tempeh into small cubes, stir in the barbecue-sauce, paprika, soy sauce, and liquid smoke and cook over medium heat for approximately 5 min.