Vegan Breakfast Casserole
A hearty warm breakfast for a cold winter morning.
- frozen tater tots, I use rounds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red sweet peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- A few pinches of kala namak
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan cheese shreds to sprinkle on top
- sliced tomatoes for the top
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, sauce the onion, garlic and sweet pepper in a little water over medium heat.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the mushrooms and spinach. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach is wilted.
- Crumble the tofu in a small bowl and stir in the turmeric powder, paprika, nutritional yeast, corn starch, kala namak, salt and pepper.
- Stir the vegetables and the tofu together until combined
- Arrange the tater rounds in a casserole dish. Spread the tofu and veggie mixture over the top. (Sprinkle with optional tempeh)
- Top with tomato slices and vegan cheese shreds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes
Optional tempeh instructions
- 5 oz. tempeh
- 1 Tbsp. barbecue-sauce
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
Cut the tempeh into small cubes, stir in the barbecue-sauce, paprika, soy sauce, and liquid smoke and cook over medium heat for approximately 5 min.