This is a plant based quiche that is easily adaptable to your favorite veggies or those left over veggies you have in your fridge. It tastes surprisingly like the totally unhealthy quiches I used to make for my family. I divided the ingredients between two 8″ pie plates. This made it seem more like a quiche but, you could easily put the ingredients in a 9 x 13 casserole dish and call it a breakfast casserole.
For the vegetables I used 3 cups of broccoli florets from a large bag of pre-cut ready to use florets. I used a red sweet bell pepper, these are the ones that have a long shape versus the bell shaped ones. Pre-minced garlic, and tofu both from Costco. This recipe made 2 pies of quiche making it a hearty filling dinner or a warm and tasty breakfast.
This quiche heats up nicely in the microwave for left overs and holds its shape so its also makes a nice option for a packed lunch. I added an option for vegan cheese, however the excess oils typically found in vegan cheeses make them unsuitable for a plant based diet.
You may need to add more plant based milk to achieve a creamy consistency with the tofu mixture. The better you are able to drain the tofu, the more milk you may need to add.
Savory Plant Based Quiche
A light and fluffy quiche, perfect for a main entree or a family breakfast.
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 6 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-1 lb. packages tofu, pressed and drained
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- Kala Namak – a few pinches
- 2/3 cup plant based milk
- 1 cup vegan cheese (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Heat a large skillet, and sauté onions, garlic, sweet pepper and carrots in a bit of water to prevent sticking. Sauté until the onions are translucent and then add the broccoli, cover and cook for approximately 5 min. until the broccoli is tender. Add water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Combine tofu, plant milk, turmeric, paprika, garlic powder, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, corn starch and kala namak in a food processor. If desired also add in the vegan cheese at this point. Process until smooth and creamy. (If necessary add additional plant milk 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve a creamy consistancy.)
- Combine the tofu mixture and the sautéed mixture in a big bowl.
- Divide the mixture evenly between two 8-inch pie plates.
- Bake in 350°oven for 1 hour.