This meatloaf has become our family favorite out of all the vegan meatloaves we have tried. It is very simple to assemble. Some recipes have an inordinate amount of chopping and prep work, but not this one. The only real prep work required is cooking the lentils beforehand. I enjoy having cooked lentils in my refrigerator to throw into salads, tofu scrambles or a stir fry. They are a hearty, meaty versatile legume. I normally put 2 cups of dry lentils in my rice cooker along with 4 1/2 cups of water, and let them steam. You only need 1/2 of a cup of cooked lentils for this recipe. Lentils stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week.
I use the refrigerated tofu package. Open the tofu package and set it up to drain while you work on the vegetables. Sauté the vegetables together until they are tender. Then add the vegetables to the drained and mashed tofu. It is often easier to just use your hands to mash the tofu, and then add the vegetables. Finally, add in the remaining ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
I prepare the loaf pan by covering the bottom with BBQ sauce, this prevents the meatloaf from sticking to the bottom. This works for both a metal or a glass loaf pan. This recipe makes enough for ONE loaf pan. Many times I double the recipe in order to make two loaf pans and have left overs for lunch the next day or another dinner during the week. I always find the flavors seem to be more intense the second time around.
It is best to allow the loaf to sit for a few minutes once you take it out of the oven before slicing. Serve with additional BBQ sauce if desired.
Vegan Meat Loaf
Comfort food, sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 container firm tofu, drained and mashed
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely ground
- 1/2 cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. BBQ sauce + extra to prepare pan
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sage
- 1/2 tsp. summer savory
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Prepare meatloaf pan, covering bottom with BBQ sauce.
- Saute celery, onion, mushroom and garlic in a large skillet.
- Combine vegetables in a large bowl with drained, mashed tofu.
- Add ground walnuts, cooked lentils, quick cooking oats, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, dijon mustard, dried parsley, thyme, sage, summer savory and rosemary. Mix until combined.
- Scoop into prepared 9″ x5″ loaf pan.
- Pour additional BBQ sauce over the top as desired.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.