These vegan brats are made with the same recipe I use for my summer sausage. The only difference is the shape of the seitan. Instead of forming the dough into two logs, I divided the dough into 18/19 pieces and rolled them into bratwurst shapes. Each needs to be wrapped individually in foil and then boiled just like the summer sausage. After slow boiling for an hour, they were unwrapped and seasoned with grilling seasonings and grilled.
A vegan bratwurst suitable for the grill, juicy and flavorful.
- 1 block of tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (the more flavorful the sauce, the more flavorful the brats)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. mace
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- 1 3/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- Fill a large pot with water and set to medium heat.
- In a food processor add all ingredients except for the vital wheat gluten. Mix until smooth, you may need to stop and scrape down the sides.
- Add in the vital wheat gluten and pulse a couple of times until it is incorporated into the mixture.
- Remove from the food processor and knead a couple of times until it forms a dough and is not crumbly anymore.
- Divide dough into 18/19 equal portions and shape each into a bratwurst shape.
- Wrap each bratwurst in foil, twisting the ends to seal.
- Place wrapped brats in boiling water and allow to simmer on a low boil for 1 hour.
- Remove from water and allow to cool.
- Rub with any grill seasoning, grill and enjoy.