I came across this recipe called Lentil Enchilada Pasta in the first Forks over Knives Bookazine from 2017. I have made it many times and have tweaked it just a bit to make it my own, and to suit my family. I have dropped the “enchilada” from the recipe name because at my house it was bringing up totally different ideals and somehow they wanted it wrapped in a corn tortilla and that just wasn’t happening. I use 100% whole grain penne pasta, my local grocery “Kroger” brand in the brown box. It comes in a 16 ounce box so I have adjusted the recipe to account for the change from the original 12 ounce box called for in the forks over knives bookazine. Four cups of lentils cooked is approximately 2 cups of dry lentils. This is one of those recipes that gives you that home cooking feeling, no frills, just fills everyone up. The bonus is I typically have left overs to pack for lunch the next day. Enjoy this healthy dinner and remember to ❤️ur❤️.
- 16 oz. dried penne pasta ( 100% whole grain)
- 1 chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 cans crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 Tbsp. whole grain flour
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot cook pasta according to package instruction, drain. Return pasta to the pot, cover with a lid and keep warm.
- To prepare the sauce, in a saucepan, cook onion, celery, sweet pepper, and garlic in the water and the 1/2 cup of veggie broth over medium heat, until the onion and celery are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, additional veggie broth, nutritional yeast, flour, chili powder, cumin, sea salt, and paprika. Bring to boiling and reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Season with black pepper.
- Add sauce and cilantro to the pasta, toss to coat. Serve topped with additional nutritional yeast if desired.