This is a recipe I found early on in our venture into heart healthy living. After watching Forks Over Knives on Netflix I discovered the Forks Over Knives Recipe App which was not free but very low cost, like I think around $5. It updates all the time with new recipes and each recipe has a shopping list of ingredients and step by step instructions. The app is great for when I find myself at the grocery and I can’t remember what ingredients I needed for my evenings creations. I open it up and viola, a plethora of whole food plant based recipes at my fingertips. I’ve tweaked the recipe just a bit to fit our family, but the original can be found on the Forks Over Knives Recipe Ap as well as the website http://www.forksoverknives.com
The recipe calls for cooking in a large stock pot, I have also experimented a bit and used my slow cooker. I put everything together but instead of letting it simmer over low heat for an hour, I toss it all in my crock pot and set it on high. Then there’s time to run someone to soccer practice, pick someone up from band practice, zip over and watch someone play a game and come home to a hot homemade dinner.
Lentil Sloppy Joes
A quick and easy lentil based meal that lends itself to delicious leftovers.
- 1 1/3 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils
- 1 15-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- salt to taste
- Place 1/3 cup of the water in a large pot
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion softens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and mix well. Add the remaining liquid, lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the seasonings. Mix well.
- At this point you can move everything to your slow cooker and cook on slow for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- If you are leaving it in your pot, bring it to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on 100% whole grain buns, with the trimmings of your choice.