This recipe doesn’t use yeast which means no waiting for the dough to rise. When serving with a casserole like the one in the photo above, this bread can easily be prepared while the casserole is in the oven.
Once the dough has rested for around 15 minutes, divide it into 4 portions.
I prefer the dough rolled out fairly thin, it does puff up a bit in the skillet. You can brush the naan with butter, or sprinkle with additional garlic or cilantro if desired.
Vegan Garlic Naan/Flatbread
A quick and easy no yeast, no waiting, vegan flatbread/naan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour + more if needed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (optional)
- addition melted butter, garlic, and cilantro if desired
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Combine vegan butter, water and minced garlic. Add to the bowl, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Add more flour and knead into the dough until the surface is non-sticky.
- Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let dough rest for about 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into four portions and roll out on a floured surface.
- Heat a flat pan, or skillet and place one portion of dough in it.
- Flip when bubbles show on the surface and brown spots appear on the bottom, finish cooking.
- Repeat for other portions of dough.
- Brush flatbread/naan with melted butter and sprinkle with minced garlic and/or cilantro if desired.
- Serve warm.
One thought on “Vegan Garlic Naan/Flatbread”