This is a tasty nourishing vegan casserole, packed with potatoes, cauliflower and a delicious sauce teeming with spices. I found this recipe on the forks over knives app, if you do not currently use this app you need to stop right now and look it up. For a nominal fee you can have vegan/plant-based recipes right at your fingertips. I love using the app in the grocery store to look up recipes and make sure I’m purchasing the correct ingredients. They load new recipes all the time. Literally every time I open the app it has new recipes.
I usually make Vegan Garlic Naan/Flatbread while the casserole is baking. My family expects it as a side now. In the 30 minutes the casserole is in the oven you can whip up the bread from start to finish. My parents like to sprinkle plant-based Pepperjack shreds by Daiya Foods on this casserole. We are currently doing the Pandemic thing and are quarantined, so they have been getting Heartie Kitchen deliveries.
Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Potato Casserole
This is a tasty nourishing vegan casserole, packed with potatoes, cauliflower and a delicious sauce teeming with spices.
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 3 1/2 cups diced yellow potatoes (~3 medium sized potatoes)
- 1 head cauliflower broken into florets (~4 cups)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 15oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- vegan non-cheese shreds (optional)
- In a small bowl stir together cumin, salt, ginger, turmeric, pepper and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water to boiling. Stir in rice. Return to heat; reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower and carrots; simmer 2 minutes. (vegetables will be crisp.)
- Drain the water off and return to the large pot.
- Stir in chickpeas, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and peas. Stir in spice mix.
- Spread into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake, covered, 30 minutes or until heated through and vegetables are tender.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with cilantro and/or vegan shreds.
- Serve warm with vegan garlic naan/flatbread if desired.